Today was the first day of our film shoot, I woke up super early in order to walk to Sarahs house for 7.30am. We were scheduled to set of for 9.00am but I had to dress Rachel up, put the head piece on and apply her make up. I decided that it would be best to make her as pale as possible for a ghastly effect. It was also best to do this indoors so we would not have to deal with things flying around outdoors on location, or encase the weather turned back as it was scheduled to rain that day.

It was decided that Catherine Povey, our designated driver would drive me and Rachel over  first so we could begin to set up. However upon arrival, we figured that the place we were going to set up at was too far for us to leave the equipment alone. Our set up was delayed an hour extra because we had to wait for Corrine and Lewis to get here. I used this hour to touch up on Rachels make up and helped her get into the right state of mind.

During set up, we tried to stay in our roles as much as possible, but I did help with setting up the dolly and tripod so we could began shooting as quick as possible. We thought that it would help if we included everyone by informing them about what we are doing. Lewis seemed very impressed with all the equipment and just how big of a scale everything was. I think this really helped to calm Lewis down as he has not done much work in front of the camera before. Whilst Cat and Sarah set up, I ran through the script and the shot list with the actors so they were fully aware of what the first scene would be.

We decided that it would be best if we ran through each shot first, so we would be able to rehearse everything and also change any awkward shots that looked awkward on camera. I think this concept worked well because we would be able to change everything slightly different in order to get enough footage for post production. This also insured that the actors new exactly what they were doing without having to cram and concentrate to much on everything at once.

I produced the shot list in order to help us edit easier. This helped us a lot as we could see the film build up ourselves. We got through the shots pretty quickly and swiftly in order to remain on schedule because we had only organized the one day of shooting at Hartshill hayes. Our efficiency also helped us to avoid the bad weather.

The first lot of shots were pretty simple to do as it only involved Lewis. He was able to understand and follow my directions with absolute confidence. I think it started getting difficult after Lunchtime when we had to incorporate the tree into the shots. I wanted to create it so you would only be able to see certain parts of the tree to create suspense and the fear of unknown, but there are only so many shots you can do. Rachel also did well to compose herself for the role, she was similar to Kimberly in the way she acted which was a big bonus.

Not everything seemed as whimsical as I play it out to be, we did encounter many problems during our first shoot. I think me and Sarah did do well to overcome all the problems with the help of Catherine Povey. The trouble with shooting outdoors in a public part, during the Easter weekend meant that families were free. There were a lot of loud kids, dogs and randomers walking past, asking us what we were doing every time. Some people even mistook us for the BBC. This meant that we had to stop and start a lot because we did not wanted minimal background noises. I think some shots did have the sound of children in the back, but we can easily remove them during post production.

We also had problems with weather. With it being so cold, Nathans costume only consisted of a thin top. We had to take regular breaks so he would be able to keep warm. It got to the point where he started shivering so we had to change some of the shots in order for him to stay off the wet ground.

We also had minor problems with the tree costume, with the headpiece being mostly made of fake hair, it was difficult for it to hold in the plastic branches in her hair, I was a bit worried with the continuity of the piece, but because it was so blended in, I think you will not be able to notice anything differences. Also, the sleeves for the costume kept slipping off everytime any hefty movements were made but it was nothing a few safety pins couldn’t sort out.

We managed to finish the shoot about 45 minutes earlier, so our efficient behavior had paid off as we all had things to do after the shoot. Catherine Povey  took some final pictures for us for keepsake and finally took Corrine and Lewis back to Coventry whilst me and Sarah packed everything up.

I think Sarah did really well as a camera operator. The footage looked excellent!

More special thankyous to Lewis, Corrine, Rachel and Povey.

Advertisements